Wednesday 1 February 2012

Darrell's


Note: we’re trying out a new format here where we alternate POVs within the post. Our original idea was to alternate the POV of each post – let us know what you think in a comment!

Rebecca: Darrell’s is a family-friendly Halifax favourite that is famous for its milkshakes, but more importantly, its Peanut Butter Burger ($10.59). It sounds a little wacky, but trust me, after trying one of these you will be putting peanut butter on your own burgers for the rest of your life.

It was my first time eating at Darrell’s so I knew I had to try this famous burger. The restaurant was packed, despite the fact that there was a snowstorm outside. We were seated downstairs and our drink orders were taken quickly. Ben went with a creamsicle milkshake ($4.09) that literally tasted like pure liquid creamsicles. The consistency of the milkshake was thick and just right; the orange flavouring was tangy and mixed perfectly with the creamy vanilla base. They even bring you the “remnants” in the frosted metal mixing cup that didn’t fit into the glass!

This milkshake brought Ben to the yard.

When my burger arrived, I inspected the toppings. Mustard, ketchup, relish, tomato, three strips of bacon, a giant juicy patty, lettuce, and of course, lots of peanut butter. The Darrell’s pickle that sat atop the burger also deserves a mention - it was exceptionally crunchy and delicious.
I assembled my burger and took a bite - I didn’t get much of a peanut buttery taste at first. But my second bite left the roof of my mouth sticky with delicious peanut butter! It was really great how the sticky texture left a peanut buttery aftertaste in between each bite. It’s official - peanut butter and beef go so well together that I can’t imagine them apart anymore. This burger was simply... amazing.

Just a regular burger...or is it???


The secret ingredient!

Ben: I had the “Turkey Cran” ($9.89) in the interest of the blog – normally I would never dream of ordering anything other than the Peanut Butter Burger. I was not at all disappointed, however; the rather boring name does not do this sandwich justice. It’s a croissant sandwich, bursting with turkey and topped with a cream cheese and pecan spread, cranberry sauce, lettuce and mayonnaise. It was the spread that really made this sandwich special, adding the same rich sticky sweetness that makes the Peanut Butter Burger so unforgettable. The sandwich was buttery yet light, with the mix of turkey, cranberries and pecans reminiscent of Thanksgiving dinner. I was stuffed and satisfied, but admittedly jealous of my girlfriend chowing down on my favourite burger of all time. I’m glad I tried the Turkey Cran, but let’s be realistic: When I go back, I’m getting a Peanut Butter Burger.

Not a peanut butter burger.

Rebecca: For our side dishes, we ordered Darrell fries. These fries intrigued us and we weren’t sure if our server would offer up the “secret recipe”. Darrell fries are spicy potato wedges that have a subtle kick and are slightly orange in colour. I speculated that they were seasoned with a Cajun seasoning called Tony Chachere’s, something that I became familiar with thanks to my Louisiana friends with whom I attended Universite Sainte-Anne. When our server walked by, I asked if they were in fact seasoned with Tony Chachere’s. That’s when she told us that “they come pre-seasoned” and she wasn’t sure what the seasoning was exactly. She told us she would ask her coworkers and come back in a minute. This left us a little confused - do the famous Darrell fries come... frozen... and pre-seasoned?!
Our server returned and told us that the fries are shipped to the restaurant from Cavendish suppliers. Well... the truth is out. Darrell fries are not made, or seasoned, in-house. Kind of disappointing, but the fries still taste good. This information barely mattered to us because the Peanut Butter Burger is so good. We’ll be returning to Darrell’s - it’s a Halifax staple and a must-try!


2 comments:

  1. when Tyler and I went to Darrell's in the summer they were also really busy and the service was amazing! since we just went in for a snack we split a peanut butter burger and they actually cut it in half and plated our single order on two plates!! I couldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this format better. It is interesting to hear two different views on one place.
    I need to get myself down there again for one of those burgers.

    ReplyDelete