Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Ardmore Tea Room

Rebecca: Not all breakfasts are created equal. Some have newfound flavour combinations of epic proportions. Others are tried-and-true breakfasts with a twist. While the breakfasts at the Ardmore, Quinpool's favourite diner for over 50 years, may not live up to epic breakfast status, they make up for their lack of creativity in taste. The diner is simple, cheap, and the staff is friendly. The placemats tell the story of Tennyson and his wife Norma, the restaurant's founders. The Ardmore is a local, family-run business with an "at-home" feel. Don't let the shabby exterior of the restaurant fool you - sub-par breakfast food is not an option here. Tennyson would never allow it! 

I contemplated the menu at length - everything sounded delicious, and the breakfasts are a steal of a deal. I finally decided on the half Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, priced at $5.25. My breakfast, orange juice, and tip came to under $10. Whoa! 

The poached egg was so delicate! The hollandaise sauce so creamy! Why am I so dramatic today? Anyway, the salmon added the perfect salty, smoky taste to the dish. The half Eggs Benny was also served with a hefty portion of homemade hash browns, coated in a peppery Cajun seasoning. Yeah!

I want to go to there.

Ben: I've been going to the Ardmore for many years now; in high school I was a regular customer, and have now tried most of the items on the menu. I convinced Rebecca to get the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benny, since that's my favorite – unfortunately that meant I had to miss out for variety's sake. I opted for the Lumberjack's Combo – 2 eggs, toast, sausage, ham, bacon and hash browns for around $7. I got my eggs over easy and soft, just the way I like them. This breakfast was impressively huge and cheap, and everything was cooked perfectly. There wasn't anything particularly original or innovative here, just good, hearty food. Exactly what a lumberjack needs to start his (or her, says Rebecca) day.

Time to cut down some trees

2 comments: