Wednesday 4 April 2012

Baan Thai

Ben: Every week, Rebecca and I eat dinner with my parents, who live just down the street. My dad usually cooks, and we eat way too much cheese and drink a bunch of wine. The other week, for a number of reasons, cooking was not an option, so we decided to try out takeout from Baan Thai, one of Halifax's most popular Thai restaurants. After way too much deliberation, we decided on Spring Rolls, Cashew Chicken, Beef Basil and Chicken Pad Thai. Altogether this came to $60, tip included - not bad for serving four hungry people! To save money, my stingy Dutch parents decided we would make our own white rice, which really does make sense.

The Spring Roll, topped with Asian Noodles

For me, the highlights were the Spring Rolls and the Cashew Chicken. The Beef Basil was decent, and I found the Pad Thai a little salty (although many people prefer it that way). The Spring Rolls were flaky and not outrageously hot, which is a problem I often have with spring rolls. They weren't at all greasy either - just the perfect way to start a relaxing meal. The Cashew Chicken, however, is officially the best 
Asian takeout dish I have ever eaten. Seriously, this stuff is amazing. It's sweet, sticky, and loaded with cashews, which everyone knows is by far the best nut out there. As was the case with all three dishes, the vegetables weren't the least bit soggy, obviously having been added to the dish at the very last minute. I want more cashew chicken very badly.

I would eat this whole thing

Pad Thai just waiting to be devoured
Dad: "Our table will be famous!"


Rebecca: I pretty much agree with everything Ben had to say - the Cashew Chicken was the most delicious by far. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Pad Thai either. I was actually convinced that there was eggplant in the dish, which I hate. However, upon looking at the Baan Thai menu, there is no eggplant listed as an ingredient. I am assuming that I had mistaken the tofu for eggplant, due to its consistency. While I normally enjoy tofu, I did not really enjoy this tofu. The spring rolls were absolutely delicious though; the Thai pastry was so flaky and crispy. The Beef Basil dish was pretty standard, but good nonetheless. I cannot say enough about the Cashew Chicken though, boy was that tasty. The cashews added crunch and the chili paste added a spicy kick. Over plain rice it was just perfect. I was tasked with the job of picking up the food from the restaurant, and I have to say that the staff there are so friendly and cheerful. If you choose to eat in, the Baan Thai atmosphere is very relaxing. If you choose to get takeout, Baan Thai is a more unique and healthier option to many of Halifax's more well-known takeout spots. Thank you to Ben's Mom and Dad for our weekly meals - they are always delicious! 





1 comment: