Sunday 8 July 2012

Durty Nelly's

Rebecca: Durty Nelly's is an Irish pub with a great atmosphere and great food. Unfortunately we couldn't nab a spot on their lovely patio, but the bar inside is quite nice.

I saw the most delicious looking burger go by on a server's tray. It had onion rings sitting atop it, and the entire thing was speared with a large steak knife. It was served with hand-cut fries. "That's what I want," I decided.

Yup.
This burger is called The Bigger Better Nelly's Burger ($12.99). From the Nelly's menu: "Hand made patty seasoned to perfection loaded with double smoked bacon, Guinness cheddar cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, red onions, and mayo on a sesame seed bun. Topped off with two onion rings." How can anyone pass that up? The burger was juicy, delicious, and quite intense - definitely something you have to be in the mood for. I thought the pricing of the menu items was reasonable - however, the drinks at Nelly's are very expensive.

Ben: Rebecca VERY strongly recommended the Grilled Chicken and Baked Brie Panini, so I that’s what I ordered, with a garden salad on the side. As usual, her taste buds did not disappoint – this thing was really good. My only complaint was that the cheese wasn’t as melty as I had expected, but Rebecca assured me this was a one-time mistake. Insufficient meltiness aside, Brie is delicious on whatever it is added to, and there was plenty of it on this sandwich. The other ingredients were all really fresh, which is maybe not what you would expect from pub food. The homemade garlic mayonnaise, however, is what really made the panini stand out; I’m a sucker for homemade mayo, and this went really well with the Brie. The side salad, however, was a pretty standard garden salad – I prefer salad to fries though, especially on a hot day. I should also mention, finally, that this meal was somehow flagged as “healthy” on the menu. I’m not sure how that’s possible, given all the cheese; I suspect they may have stretched the definition of healthy, but I can’t know for sure.

Looks healthy enough...

But look at that cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment